The Bedford Church of Christ,previously known as the New Hope church of Christ, has continued to meet on this same property for more than 135 years. The Lord’s church built its first meeting house and began holding services at our present site about 1874. It began meeting earlier just 1-1/2 miles north of our present meeting place which was on the D.R. Teeter survey along present-day Cheek-Sparger Road late1865. It met in the Spring Garden Schoolhouse for about 7 years. The church moved to its present location as a result of a fire which destroyed the Spring Garden Schoolhouse about 1872.
The Spring Garden church of Christ disbanded and its members living in the north part of the neighborhood began attending meetings at Grapevine or Pleasant Glade. Those south of the school site organized themselves and, in 1874, built their first meeting house. They chose the name New Hope church of Christ. Milton Moore (1828-1914) and Weldon Wiles Bobo (1813-1884) drove their teams and wagons to the lumber mills in east Texas to get the building materials, and soon the members had a fine frame building. Unlike many country congregations whose meetings have lapsed from time to time, Bedford’s members have held uninterrupted regular services since their founding. As its founders intended, the Bedford Church of Christ endures today as an example of a pioneer institution which can adapt itself to new surroundings and times without compromising beliefs and values. The Bedford Church of Christ received its State Historical Marker in 1982.